Sunday, August 13, 2006

Walt Disney World 2006

Introducing the Coleman's: Keegan, age 6. Katie, age 9. Laura and D.C. age, well, 40something


Many who know us call us a Disney family, I'm not sure why, but it might have to do something with the fact that we have annual passes to Disneyland and California Adventure (Yeah, California Adventure - we like it!), Disney made his "D" a lot like the way I make mine and we have visited Walt Disney World (WDW) twice before, but since the first visit was before kids, and the second visit was when Keegan was two, this is the first visit that counts for all of us.

Laura and I first went to Disney World for our Honeymoon in 1993. Being a avid reader ( I would have used vociferous, but Nancy and the people from work would have given me a hard time) I picked up a book called the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. The book had strategies and specific touring plans to avoid crowds and long lines. My new bride thought I was crazy because I actually carried this book with us the first day into the park. (I know what you're thinking...it was the only "how to book" I brought along on the honeymoon) It told us things like when to arrive (30 minutes before stated park opening), where to line-up (use the left side of the entrance), and in what order to tour the attractions (pass to the left side of Spaceship Earth, turn left behind the Cafe and follow path to Universe of Energy). She had doubts about all the running around in specific order until we passed by a ride that we had walked onto 30 minutes before, and the wait was now 45 minutes. The book uses research of how crowds travel in parks. For example, in Disneyland, if people race to see Space Mountain first they are most likely to stay in Tomorrowland after Space Mountain and ride Buzz Lightyear and Star Tours, while the ones who raced to get on Indiana Jones will stay in that area and visit the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Boats and Pirates. So the book, for example, advocates racing to ride Space Mountain, then leaving Tomorrowland and visiting Indiana Jones, which is now curiously not crowded because the people who rode that first are now on the Jungle Boat Cruise and the Haunted Mansion. We figured that we saved at least 2 hours each day of standing in line (and that's a good thing because I usually only bring to the table 1 hour of my "A" material, after an hour or so I am forced to use stuff like "Have you ever noticed that Super Sugar Smacks changed it's name to Honey Smacks, but it still smells the same when you pee?" So shaving this hour off was vital to me during the honeymoon!).
Some people will argue that using a guide takes away the spontaneity. I say, how "spontaneous" is waiting in a 45-minute line, besides with the major attractions out of the way early, you're free to goof around without feeling that you're missing something.
So, in prepping for this trip, I again have the updated Unofficial Guide to WDW and have been working on our daily plans for a month. We have preordered groceries through the internet that will arrive between 7 and 9am on our first day. We have pre-ordered and received our admission passports. No pesky waiting in line on the first day AND they raised ticket prices about two weeks ago, so we've already saved $30 (We can enjoy and extra Turkey Leg!). We plan on dining at the parks for only a few special meals, and the rest of the time we'll bring our food or cook it in our room. We are staying at Disney's first time share resort, Old Key West, and have a full kitchen.
When we first decided that we were going to WDW, I thought it would be cool to tell the kids that we're going to, ahh, West Virginia, with transfers at Dallas and Orlando Airports. Then when we got off of the plane in Orlando, surprise them with a Disney visit. Then I realized that this would backfire on us big time when we actually DO decide to go to West Virginia or someplace on Vacation. I can see the kids assuming and packing for another "surprise" Disney visit and see the looks on their faces when we arrive in Morgantown West Virginia for the Raccoon Days Festival. We decided to let them in on the news when school let out for the Summer. Plus we made a "Music from WDW" CD for them so they now know all the songs.

I hope to share a bunch of pictures with you, from the standard "Here we are in front of _____" to "This is what cast members call a Protein Spill" pictures. We are taking our laptop and plan on downloading the pictures we will take each day and share interesting ones with you. We are supposed to have high speed internet access at the resort, but it costs $10 per day, so I might post every other day, unless I can find a loose WiFi signal.

Our flight leaves at 7am out of Burbank on Saturday (Day1) August 19. With all the new travel restrictions, I'm pretty sure that we should already be at the airport. We are told that we cannot bring our own water containers on the plane, but I'll beat the system by filling up my mouth with water before the security station! I like Burbank Airport. It doesn't have any of those "sissy" jetways. Nope, we get to walk up the steps just like all the Presidents used to like Lincoln, Washington and Reagan. It makes me feel like a real man, not the Metro Sexual type who uses jetways. We'll I guess I'd better get packing and head straight to bed since we have to get up at 4am! But no worries, that's only 7am in Florida!

and Lastly for the Sagers, who are housesitting for us...Beware of the Dogs, but be suspicious of the cat too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scooter!

Too Cool! You're still a dork though...now you're just a dork with a Blog!!!! ;) Nah, it's pretty cool and makes me want to try my hand at it since I've got all the capabilities.

Anyway, hope you all have a great time! Try to be a lil' spontaneous about some of the trip though! And don't forget to bring me back a surprise!

Take care,
**Barbie**

Anonymous said...

I hear a days old Turkey leg should be the surprise for "Barbie" after calling him "Scooter"! LOL! I heard him called "Rabbit" once in school. That should raise Laura's eyebrows some. . . . (If she didn't know already . . .)

Anonymous said...

Hey Colemans! Hope you all have a great time! Hate to mix business with pleasure but... Dave, where are the softballs for Thursday night's games? and one ref didn't show up on Saturday at WSC? and the pictures for youth basketball haven't come in yet and the last games are on Saturday! and where is the mobile rec information? and just kidding, everything's fine! Peace out!!!